Saturday, January 31, 2009

The confirmation...

January 16th, 2009.  Finally our appointment with the ENT.  Jenny thought I was nuts going with her but I knew I needed to be there.  We go back into the exam room and we were waiting for the doctor.  I heard some noise outside of the door and the Doctor was discussing our case with her intern.  I heard her say "meningioma" finally a professional confirmation and relief.  She came in and said, "Well it looks like you have a benign meningioma".  We need to get you referred to a neuro-surgeon to see what needs to be done.  After the initial shock had worn off the doctor said, "Jenny do you know a neuro-surgeon that you would like to see"?  I immediately responded, "Dr. Scott Shapiro".  My wife's jaw hit the floor with shock and amazement.  Jenny said, "What.. huh... how do you know this dude's name" and I responded, "I had a week to due my homework" at which she responded, "Unbelievable, of all things a freaking brain tumor". 

While the week leading up to this appointment was stressful it was also really nice to be prepared.  So many folks walk into a doctors office and get completely blind-sided by a diagnosis of this magnitude.  Instead of thinking about what doctor you need to be referred to, you are thinking about how long am I going to be alive!  Thinking about yet another doctor appointment is the LAST thing on your mind.  You could just as easily shake the magic 8-ball to get a doctors name! 

So we finally left the doctors office and we both went to work.  The ENT called later that afternoon and confirmed an appointment with Dr. Shapiro on January the 14th.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate all of the information that you have shared. Thank you for the hard work!

    meningioma

    ReplyDelete