Sunday, June 7, 2009

Hair loss and Soy


Here's the sweetness that is my hair!  Yep, I've lost enough that I'm walking around with a scarf on all the time in public.  

Onto a different topic:

So, in addition to NO EXOGENOUS HORMONES for ever and ever (including anything for menopause, etc.), it has been recommended that I AVOID SOY.  I have been doing this as best I can for some time now, as I've read that soy can have hormonal effects on the body.  I THINK it has something to do with being antiestrogenic.  When you have progesterone receptors, soy could actually feed the kind of tumor I had.  At least I think that's the logic... anyway, I just know that soy can screw with your hormones.  

I have been leery of soy for some time, and having confirmation of this from a medical professional is all that I need to stay away from soy as best I can!  There's still lots of debate in the medical world, but if the Medical Director at MPRI tells me to stay away from soy, you can bet there's a reason for it.

The problem is that soy is, unfortunately, in about everything.  Try finding a multi vitamin without soy.  Try finding a protein bar without soy.  TRY FINDING CHICKEN OR BEEF WITHOUT SOY AS A COMPONENT OF ANIMAL FEED (along with corn).  That also means cow dairy like milk, cheese, etc. -  that also has soy in it based on the feed of the cow.  And 'organic' or no hormones added doesn't cut it.  I found that out the hard way at Trader Joe's today- the T.J. branded-chicken isn't fed antibiotics, but it states clearly on the package that the chicken is fed a diet of corn and soy.  So disappointing.

(I know it's impossible to avoid soy all the time, so if you see me eating a chicken burrito from Qdoba, don't hassle me.  My body type demands that I eat meat!  And trust me, I'll be beating myself up the whole time I'm eating it.  If I can at least manage my soy intake when I cook meals at home, that will be better than nothing.)

And people wonder why girls are getting their periods at 9 years of age?!  Seriously, this is a real concern.  It's going to take a lot of effort to try and find meats that are from grass fed animals.  Hell, I'll even take some that have corn as a main component of their diet.  But while some people have corn allergies, the insidious thing about soy is the (increasingly known) effects on hormones.  And you know who it's hurting the most?  Women and girls!  

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny!
    Have you been to Traders Point Creamery on the north side? Their cheeses & milks are UH-mazing and their cows are 100% grass fed.

    www.traderspointcreamery.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karissa,

    I LOVE, LOVE TP stuff. I'm addicted to their whole milk (plain) yogurt. We need more options like T.P.! There is a farm out in McCordsville, too, that has grass fed beef, etc.

    Any others have suggestions?

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the soy info - I'd heard about this somewhere, but wasn't sure whether or not I should take it seriously.... I was always going to ask my neurosurgeon (yup, I've had a meningioma as well) at my next follow-up, and now it's just moved up my list of questions again.

    Oh, I originally came here via Google alerts - random stranger, not friends or family :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice post.....
    Proton Therapy is a New Cancer Treatment. Put simply, proton therapy promises better outcomes for patients undergoing cancer treatment, with the potential for fewer side effects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this ia an excellent way for the treatment of my hair i love this articalbest hair loss treatment for boys

    ReplyDelete