Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Dreaded Decadron Taper

So, it would have been nice to know just what this steroid really is all about.  I know docs don't want to put things in your head, but they could have warned Kevin to be on the lookout for certain side effects.

After complaining earlier this week about the massive bone and joint pain (which I thought was just the uncomfortableness of surgery), I thought that I'd look research more about the side effects of the big "D".  

Turns out, it's a side effect/withdrawal of decadron.  Who knew more pain would be caused by medication side effects than the actual surgery.  It's a necessary evil, it just kind of took me by surprise!

The pain has progressed to what I call 'frostburn'.  All up and down my body.  It's a lovely sensation that combines sunburn and frost bite.  It's pretty painful and uncomfortable.   But if it's the worst that I'm dealing with, I am doing SO MUCH better than many other folks taking or tapering this drug.  It can be brutal.  And I mean brutal.

I took my very last dose of the big "D" today.  So we'll see how much longer these symptoms last.  Could be 2 days.  Could be 2 months.  Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment