Friday, February 20, 2009

Tips, and other misc. info for surgery

The cobwebs are starting to clear, so I thought I'd put down a few helpful hints, reminders and other observations going into a surgery like this.  Hopefully other meningioma patients and their families will find this helpful!

1. I've said this in another post, but I'll say it again.  In the first 24 hours after surgery, do not get too close to said patient.  When the patient is whispering, it is probably not to say to visitors, "come closer".  In fact, I can guarantee that's not the case.  More than likely, they are trying to scream: GET BACK.  So. just. keep. distance. 

2. You will have had IV lines that will have been taken out right after surgery, so no one will know where you have been poked and prodded.  They will think that they will know where the IVs are by the ones that they left in, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.  I had extra ones in my hand, wrist and legs.  (At least I think.)  If you have friends or family that are like bulls in a china shop, do not let them touch you on the back of your hand, or leg, or arm.  It will hurt.  In my case, fingertips were fine.

3. Try to stand as close to the feet as possible and talk as quietly as possible.  Don't get too far behind or right next to the patient.  

4. Patients: get out of the neuro ICU as fast as you can!  I didn't realize how chaotic, noisy and stressful it was until I was out of the unit.  I actually wanted to stay there on my 3rd night because I was afraid to move units, but it is the BEST thing to do.  Dr. Shapiro made sure of that, and I am grateful he sent my behind over to the regular floor.  It was the best transition to going home.

5. I still can't believe how the whole hospital food thing.  It's like going to a restaurant!  Take full advantage!

6. The MRSA baths (to prevent hospital acquired infections) really really are terrible, but it's better than coming down with MRSA.  They wet you down with this soap that they can't wipe off.  It just has to dry on the skin.  And then you are damp.  And when you are 110 lbs, you can't get warm.  And it's really uncomfortable.  But suck it up.



1 comment:

  1. Hey I didn't get MRSA baths! Tell me more about them? Matter of fact, MRSA may have been the reason for my 2nd surgery.

    ReplyDelete