Sunday, March 1, 2009

My Meningioma Vitals

More info from the final pathology report:

In addition to being Grade II WHO meningioma (jump down to the atypical - I have sheets and a mitosis as high as 7), here are some other interesting findings:

* pre- and post operative diagnosis: right convexity meningioma
* official procedure performed: craniotomy
* meningioma size: 7 x 7 x 2 cm (nice size - bigger than a baseball, not quite as big as grapefruit!)
* section of dura actually removed: 7.4 x 8.1 cm
* other findings: tumor cells are immunoreactive for progesterone receptor

Women are affected with meningiomas more than 2:1, so there is a strong suspicion that hormones play a factor.  In fact, since a teenager, I have been hormonally challenged.  Strong suspicion that I've probably had the meningioma for decades.  Then you add outside (and non-human I might add) hormones to make me 'appear' normal, which probably just added fuel to a fire (the meningioma) that was already there.  And something that was probably causing my problems in the first place!

In fact, I've done research, and you will find lots of women in their 50's who have been diagnosed with a meningioma, after they have taken hormone therapy for menopause.  

Some interesting articles on this subject:
The Women's Health Initiative Study: The estrogen plus progestin trial stopped in July 2002 after investigators found that the associated health risks of this combination hormone therapy outweighed benefits.

How this affects my other chronic diseases: Crohn's Disease and Ankylosing Spondilitis
Many of you have asked whether my other health issues could have been affected by this.  It's hard to say, but when your brain is being crushed, there's no telling how the body compensates for that!  The next several months will be fascinating to see how my body reacts to the tumor being gone.  And you can be sure that I will do everything I can to work with my doctors to figure all this stuff out and manage it appropriately.  This truly is exciting, and marks the beginning of the rest of my life!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Thank you for sharing your thoughts about meningioma research. I am glad to stop by your site and know more about meningioma research. Keep it up! This is a good read. You have such an interesting and informative page. I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well.
    Increased intracranial pressure eventually occurs, but is less frequent than in gliomas.
    For nearly 10 years, the Brain Science Foundation has driven research into the causes, treatment, and understanding of meningioma tumors. In fact, the foundation launched to fill the need for innovation in this poorly understood and understudied brain tumor.

    meningioma research

    ReplyDelete
  2. maggie.danhakl@healthline.comMay 18, 2014 at 10:37 AM

    Hi,

    Healthline just designed a virtual guide of the effects of ankylosing spondylitis on the body. You can see the infographic here: http://www.healthline.com/health/ankylosing-spondylitis/effects-on-body

    This is valuable med-reviewed information that can help a person understand how AS will affect their body. I thought this would be of interest to your audience, and I’m writing to see if you would include this as a resource on your page: http://themeningioma.blogspot.com/2009/03/my-meningioma-vitals.html

    If you do not believe this would be a good fit for a resource on your site, even sharing this on your social communities would be a great alternative to help get the word out.

    Thanks so much for taking the time to review. Please let me know your thoughts and if I can answer any questions for you.

    All the best,
    Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager
    p: 415-281-3124 f: 415-281-3199

    Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
    660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
    www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

    About Us: corp.healthline.com

    ReplyDelete