Monday, March 23, 2009

The Pacers and Cancer

So, what do these two have in common?  There's some controversy in Indianapolis about the Pacers not being able to afford their $15 million in operating expenses for Conseco Fieldhouse.  I may have all the details a little messed up, but bottom line is that there is question about whether the Pacers are going to stay in Indiana.

Cancer patients, and even 'pseudo-cancer' patients (as I like to call myself) definitely have a stake in this fight.  The new Mel and Bren Simon Cancer Center in Indy is world-class, and as a patient of this fine facility (and ancillary facilities) I'm fortunate to have some of the best researchers and multi-disciplinary teams to treat my stupid tumor.  The Simons (who own the Pacers) certainly provide much more to the city than just the sports, entertainment, and hospitality industries.  

Yes, this is tangled up in a much more complicated issue, which I won't go into.  But many in Indiana are saying "let them leave".  But if you have cancer, or have been touched by cancer, or even have 'psuedo cancer', the answer isn't always so cut and dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment