Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Beam me up Scotty!

So, for you geeks out there- have you ever tried the old trick of holding a fluorescent light tube next to an electric source and the tube auto-magically lights up.  Well, after tomorrow when Jenny walks past the light bulb section in Home depot she will have her own personal spotlights... just like the rock star she is!! You guessed it, she is FINALLY beginning her proton therapy tomorrow at 1:00pm.  She is scheduled for 33 sessions with at CGE (cobalt gray equivalent) of 59.4 (this is how they measure how much radiation will be delivered to the tumor bed). The doctors assured us that she won't beradioactive nor will she glow but I'm not convinced.  I think I will make sure I keep a fluorescent tube close by as a warning light! In all seriousness, tomorrow is a big day and there is finally a light at the end of the tunnel.  Today, they did there simulation run and tested all of the computer programs that position her in the Gantry in front of the Proton beam injector.  Jan (Jenny's mother) and I were there watching all of the activites until they ran us out to take the X-rays to verify the positioning.  Everything checked out and she is locked and loaded for treatment.  In the picture above, she is laying on the treatment table and she is all buckled up and she is wearing her hannibal lecter mask (the white thing wrapped around her head).  I have some more pictures that I will post in the next couple of days.  So stay tuned... 

Kevin

2 comments:

  1. Good luck Jenny! You're in our thoughts and prayers.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep thinking and praying of you guys.

    Take care,

    Rauf.

    ReplyDelete