Thursday, May 21, 2009

MPRI Stories

The Midwest Proton Radiotherapy Institute sees all kinds of patients.  Here are a few of their stories (cue the Law & Order intro):

1. There is a little boy that is being treated there.  He's about 6 and is accompanied every day by his little 4 year old brother, mom, and his grandmother.  I'm not sure what he is being treated for, but he's cute as a button.  He has an IV line in his arm, because he has to have some sort of sedation every single treatment.  As Dr. Johnstone said to us, the little boys are especially squirmy.  I think he tried having treatments done for a few days without the sedation, but that obviously didn't last long because the IV is back in his arm.

2.  There is a little girl - probably younger than a year old - that was there being treated the first day I was there.  When she was done with treatment (and still very, very groggy), the MPRI nurse took her out to the waiting room to see her mom, and the little girl didn't want to leave the nurse.  That made me feel really bad for her mom.  But then she had a bottle and calmed down.

The little kids that are being treated there are all so cute and good.  MPRI has to have an anesthesiologist there practically every day because more and more kids are being treated there, and they obviously need to be sedated.  I can't imagine having to be sedated every treatment day and how hard that is on those tiny little bodies.

3.  There are a ton of older men - and their prostates - being treated there.  I think that's one of MPRI's bread and butter treatments.  There are a ton of them walking around there!

The treatments continue to go well, but I know that the tiredness is starting to really creep in.  

As I said before, all the technicians there are great.  Everyone is so very, very nice.  There are about 5-6 technicians for each treatment room.  And all of them are always running around doing something during the treatment!  Unfortunately, I have my eyes closed during the treatment, so I don't know exactly what they are doing, but they are busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment