Friday, May 8, 2009

DRAMA Queen

No, it's not Kevin!  

Last Friday, I had a small seizure.  Monday I had another weird seizure.  In my dream, I couldn't move my left arm or leg.  Couldn't see out of my left eye.  I was banging on a couch to let the other people in the room know that I was having a seizure, but nothing would come out.  I then woke up immediately.

I then proceeded to wake up Kevin, of course, because with all my other seizures, I wouldn't wake up.  I would just remember having a dream that I felt like I was being suffocated to death the next morning.  So, compared to those seizures, this one was actually better.  But it was still a different type of seizure, if you know what I mean.  So I thought it would be a good idea to call the neurologist that morning.  I did that.

And waited.

And waited.

Then headaches returned this week.  And the swooshing in my ears.  Which in the past meant one of two things:

1. A BFT (hint: the B stands for Big and the T stands for Tumor); or
2. A hematoma

Long story short, I sort of freaked out this morning.  And tried calling the neuro again.  Then I called my buddy Dr. Henderson, who is overseeing my proton therapy plan.  I DO NOT want anything to get in the way of me starting the proton treatment next week.  I was terrified that I was getting another hematoma.

Dr. H got me in right away, did a CT scan.  

GOOD NEWS:  All looks well in the noggin.  He consulted with the neuro, and they really don't know why I'm having headaches or swooshing.  Could be that my brain is irritated.  Could be that I'm still having small seizures.  Could be that the meds are causing it.  Could be that I'm crazy.  Whatever.  I'm still on track for next week!

GOOD NEWS/BAD NEWS: Dr. H did give me a nice overview of the proton treatment plan.  It will be shorter than I had thought (only 33 treatments!)  But he also included a small little nugget of information:  I will probably PERMANENTLY LOSE MY HAIR on a good portion of my right side.  

So, Kevin's wish for me to keep my short hair is pretty much squashed.  I should be able to cover the bald spot with a haircut that's at least shoulder-length, and parted on the left side.

I go from being out of work from 6-8 weeks.  To learning that my benign tumor is atypical. Which will require radiation so it doesn't regrow back.  To having emergency surgery for an epidural hematoma.  To learning that means I'll be out of commission for at least 5 months.  To learning that I'll lose hair permanently.  

Are you KIDDING ME?!  What a crazy journey!!

No comments:

Post a Comment